Monday 24 October 2011

Last week was very very busy so I didn't write. I worked long hours and felt too miserable to write. Lack of sun definitely wasn't helping. A spat about a phone conversation took nearly a week to resolve because of time zones, tiredness and busy-ness. None of that is good. The conclusions seem to be that we think about the relationship, and love in general, in different ways.

Today it's sunny and I am once again transcribing. I am in a tidying mood (for once) and will take things home later from the office, perhaps in a taxi because some of the stuff is pretty heavy including a metal filing box. I have my office mate back and he's chipper after his holidays.

Good things happened last week, really. My new friend came round for dinner on Tuesday. I cooked pasta and she gave me really helpful advice about how to deal with a situation that was troubling me. We also voted in two new Ladybird directors on Monday. Tammy and Rich. The four that stood would all have done an ace job. I love the Ladybird Project.

Tammy has a really exciting idea about how to run a time share scheme in our area, to try  to encourage people to do lovely and helpful things for others in return for others doing lovely things for them. I think this is great. Especially because right now we don't always allocate money on things evenly - for example if a friend cuts your hair you might pay her, but if she cooked you dinner you wouldn't!

Other highlights were spending the afternoon with my sister. We went together to the LSE lecture in which the Canadian Natural Resources Minister tried to tell an audience of ex pat Canadians, investors and activists, not to mention a couple of LSE students, that oil sands is reliable, secure and environmentally friendly. His calls for 'Europe to do their homework' were not well received on the whole by the audience. It was well reported in the Canadian press that he is in Europe to lobby the EU not to go ahead with its Fuel Quality Directive, which would exclude oil sands from the EU market. People and Planet and No Tar Sands Network gave him a certificate for 'Greenwash Propogandist of the year' and he looked surprised by some of the questions. The event ended short when the chair lost control and people started asking questions about the community and environmental issues all at the same time. It was interesting to remember UK and Alberta differences.

I spent the weekend at home with my parents and grandparents. I've never had time with them on their own before, but it was really nice. I got spoilt a lot: new socks, new tights, a new knitted cushion and scarf from Mum, lots of apple desserts made from apples from the garden and a trifle! Also, the weather was notably sunnier and warmer down south. Bliss!

Another good thing happened last week. The man at the council in charge of my area is going to meet me for tea and a walk about so I can show him all the issues we have in Hyde Park with rubbish, litter, broken glass and the 'social imbalance' caused by mostly students living in one area. He seems to really want to have local input, which is great. This is in contrast with those running the Hyde Park neighbourhood improvement plan. People I know who attended the 'steering' meeting have complained that there are not enough people on the committee who live in the area. When I asked the council about whether residents can attend, I was told that we would be engaged once the plan was drafted. It's funny when your own life starts to imitate your research.

This week I've still got loads of work to do. I'm planning on drinking lots of coffee, seeing my friend tonight and going to see a musician tomorrow night. My friends are excited about him; I've never heard of him. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment