Thursday 13 October 2011

Thinking about the community

Today I finally got round to emailing Leeds Council to ask could me and T be added to the mailing lists for the stakeholder meetings for Hyde Park. Given that T wrote the deputation that triggered the meetings in the first place and (allegedly £9,000) Plan, it seems a bit careless. I imagine that the council is saying 'O look they make a fuss and then no one bothers to show up to [work day time tabled] meetings....' Why events that involve the community can't be timetabled at times when people don't work is beyond me.

So it's official, I have become one of those old moany stakeholder people.

I attended a Royal Park meeting this week. I haven't been for some time, on account of being busy, away or just feeling stressed about the cooptation, and lack of care that the Big Society brings. The meeting this week was to talk about alternative scenarios for the building. It seems (to my cyncial self) likely that the glorious grandeur will be knocked down. 'Cleared' is the professionals' word. Bulldozed. I know there was talk of some people chaining themselves up. I don't know if anyone feels like that now. My thoughts are that if the school site can be used to maximise community benefit (and that must include the whole community, so no night club or faith school) then that might be better than letting the building deteriate.

It's very dark in Leeds today and I want to get a sad light with a radio to wake me up. Any suggestions? I think the today programme plus bright fake sunlight would do me some good. I was a much earlier riser in Canada, thanks to the beaming sun that would flood my room.



No comments:

Post a Comment